During my recovery from ALT Phalloplasty (Stage 1) in hospital, hotel and at home, I focused on eating plenty of high protein, high nutrient meals to help with my healing. I also took a number of supplements, including basic vitamins, anti-inflammatory and adaptogenic supplements, and homeopthatic remedies. I spent a considerable amount of money on these supplements and while it’s impossible to know what truly helped and what didn’t, I can say that my recovery went much smoother and faster than I’d anticipated and so I’ll be following a similar protocol for my stage 2 surgery later this year.
In addition to supplements, I was also taking pain medication (alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen, plus Gabapentin for nerve pain) and an antibiotic, and had a number of dressing changes and creams and ointments to apply. To help schedule all this, I bought an “account book” at Staples and used it as a medical log book. (One could also use plain sheets of paper.) This was one of those essential items for me: I’m sure I would have forgotten and/or mixed up medication times without it!
- Multi Vitamin
- B Complex
- Vitamin C Packs (2-3 x 1000 mg/day) – Essential for wound healing! Vitamin C helps build and rebuild collagen and is also a powerful antioxidant that supports the immune system. (Vitamin C is depleted by surgery.)
Juven Therapeutic Nutrition Drink (2x/day)
“Juven has a unique blend of HMB (an amino acid metabolite), Collagen Protein, Arginine, Glutamine, Antioxidants (Vitamins C & E), Vitamin B12 and Zinc. Juven has been clinically shown to support wound healing by enhancing collagen formation in as little as 2 weeks. Building new tissue can help your body repair a wound from an injury or surgery. A proper diet is essential for building tissue, but sometimes calories and protein are not enough. This is when Juven may help.”
- Turmeric / Curcumin
(Adaptogens reduce the impact that stress has on the body.)
- Royal Jelly with Ginseng. (I also did a 3 month course of Ginseng pre-op.)
- Maca Powder (also supports immune system.)
- MyCommunity – 17 Species Multi Mushroom Complex, to support immune system.
- Lactobacillus, to restore natural digestive flora during and after use of anti-biotics. (I also ate a lot of plain yogurt and kimchi.)
- Spirulina, anti-inflammatory and immune booster. Spirulina is 65% protein and amino acids including the essential fatty acid gamma linolenic acid (GLA). It also includes many nutrients including vitamin C, iron and zinc.
- Dandelion Tea, Nettle Tea
- Arnica Montana (200 ch), anti-inflammatory, for reducing pain, swelling and bruising. Also increases circulation and stimulates white blood cell activity.
- Staphysagria (200 ck), for inflamed wounds, worn out feeling, general recovery.
- Thiosinaminum (200 ck), for dissolving scar tissue and adhesions.
- Also: Phosphoros (30 ch), for problems with or lingering effects of anesthesia. (I didn’t end up using it.)